Sunday, April 6, 2014

Alfredo Barnaby

I have to be sure to highlight Alfredo Barnaby--he has a great poem in The Acentos Review, from February 2014 called "Late September in Lewiston, Idaho" here. He has such a sense of sensuality and physicality, but he also has a great sense of place. In this one, he especially has these incredible lines--I'll except a bit here:

[...]

hunched like death, night trudged on,
stars jingling on the breast, 
moon clasped with the lips.
[...]
brushed the barbwire of blackberry bush,
tore the sleeveless dress of a tree,

and from a bare shoulder
heard the road’s chest swell,
[...]



He also has a great poem "The Levee" here in Decomp Magazine with a incredible opening, it still makes me nervous. What a sense of Ted Hughes, one he really improved upon. He has quite the talent. Here's a quote:

1

An eye that knew no dream
gazed me back my words.

Hours I bounced on its iris
as light fell in a slow dust.

1 comment: