Sunday, April 6, 2014

Matthew Reed Corey

I have to mention Matthew Reed Corey--I first saw his work in Diagram issue 12.5 here, and I knew I had to find more of his work. His opening in "An Appetite in Winter Thrums" made me sure of it:


Gratified
by the fragrance of rainsoaked cedar,
     I cultivate, I host, the unquiet
hum of waiting for
     more—the skins of my sweet-orange,
long since peeled, adjoin the hot-water [...]


Then I hit the jackpot at Pinwheel, here. His work is packed with these excellent lines--I want to spray paint them in the city. His other poems are even faster, and great. I just wish he'd slow down a little for me; he moves so quickly; it's like Mozart's themes, with every page anew. I want him to write a fugue, he's got tremendous talent. 

I read his book/thesis Along a Shoreless Motorway here, and it was great, especially particular parts. For example, his line in "When a Voice from the Aquifer Detaches a Snail from Its Shell" is so Last Year at Marienbad that I thought I was in the film's estate courtyards for a second. He's just got excellent language, and a deep well of intelligence. Here's an excerpt:

[...]                                                        Its middlemost verbs, enlaceinfest. I say, “we remain


ourselves for fear of waking effaced,” even as the city reaches past us to eyeless gardens darkening.
[...]


No comments:

Post a Comment