Monday, April 28, 2014

Ancient Mexican poetry

Brinton's book of Ancient Nahuatl Poetry from Mexico and ancient Mexican poets [Nahuatl basically means Aztec] is incredible, just look at the excerpt below from "IX. An Otomi Song of Sadness" ["Otro tlaocolcuica otomitl"] and for more read here:

4. I array myself with the jewels of saddest flowers; in 
my hands are the weeping flowers of war; I lift my 
voice in sad songs; I offer a new and worthy song 
which is beautiful and melodious; I weave songs fresh 
as the dew of flowers; on my drum decked with 
precious stones and plumes I, the singer, keep time to 
my song, as I take it from those dwellers in the heavens, 
the zacuan bird, the beautiful tzinitzcan, the divine 
quechol, those melodious birds who give joy to the 
Cause of All.

4. Ica ye ninapanao tlaocolxochicozcatlon, 
nomac ommanian elcicihuilizchimàlxochitlon, 
nic ehuaya in tlaocolcuicatloo, 
nicchalchiuhcocahuicomana yectli yancuicatl, 
nic ahuachxochilacatzoa, yn o 
chalchiuhuehueuhilhuitl, itech nictlaxilotia in 
nocuicatzin in nicuicani ye niquincuilia in 
ilhuicac chanequeo zacuantototl, 
quetzaltzinitzcantototl teoquechol inon tlătoa 
quechol in qui cecemeltia in tloque, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment