Sunday, April 6, 2014

Alma Luz Villanueva

I just saw Alma Luz Villanueva's poetry in Spaces in their 2013 issue here.

I really liked her poem "Dear World, dear Earth/ dear Angel of Despair And Joy", it's has such a sense of cold air and mystery. Her work really has a sense of a Hispanic Whitman-like quality, it's excellent.

Here's an excerpt:


Early morning, as we land in Mexico
City, I see the immense angel, I
blink my eyes, I stare and
stare, it doesn’t disappear, it
remains firm, hovering at the
edge of Mexico City’s sprawl, [...]
sing in every human language,
Turtle Islands, once the massive
Tortoise emerging from primal,
cellular, swirling sea, from
space blue blue blue womb
water, I hear you singing on
the streets of Los Angeles, your
sweet, clear voice pierces my [...]
I hear you singing in every
language, I don’t know
the words, what I hear/feel is
your harsh, persistent healing,
O our
Angel Of
Diamond Light
Eyes. Singing.



No comments:

Post a Comment