Friday, July 18, 2014

Pushkin

Summer is a great time to read Aleksandr Pushkin [1799-1837], the famous Russian writer and poet. Here's an excerpt from his "Farewell, O, Faithful Leafy Groves!", read it all here.

Reading some of his work lulls you into a higher perceptive sense, a feeling of connection with nature. It's a great way to enhance your enjoyment of being outside or taking a summer trip through nature--he puts words to our amorphous feelings. He resonates--try some here:


Farewell, O, faithful leafy groves!
Farewell, O, careless world of fields,
Farewell, funs, – each on light wings hovers –
Of days – each so promptly fleets!
Farewell, Trigorskoe, where gladness
Had met me for so many times!
Whether I’d drunk your charming freshness
Just to lose you for good at once?
From you I’m taking recollections
And leaving my heart here for you.
May be, – a dream, filled with sweet passion, –
I’d come back to walk your fields through;
I’d come under the vaults of lime-trees, [...]

No comments:

Post a Comment