Sunday, September 7, 2014

Rebecca Suzanne Miller

We have to feature the great piece "The Effort of Still Life" by Rebecca Suzanne Miller in BlastFurnace. It's a great piece on emotion, life, and the physicality of the body. Usually we don't feature pieces about this type of direct topic, but here the piece really transforms the entire situation and asks Derridean questions about it all--about life, safety, death, anger, violence and the soul.

Here's an excerpt:

This stare into a sunlit apple,
I long for nothing.

[...]

that will quiet such anger,
distill the lightning clash;
and because I am still, I survive,
but don’t mistake my stillness for your victory.

There is greater judgment than broken skin
or a bruised apple
and I am still
until your death
allows me to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment