Thursday, September 11, 2014

Louise Glück

Typically, I do not feature poems that are really narrative-like, where a 'story' is all that matters--but this poem both includes a tale and transcends it. Louise Glück's piece "Sharply Worded Silence" is incredible, from the Spring 2014 ThreepennyReview.

It has a serious Borges feel to it, but it makes it all the poem's own. The poem is works on many, many levels and draws you in--and leaves you wondering. And trying to parse it. Here's an excerpt that only hints at the real mysteries in it:

[...]

The park was my consolation, particularly in the quiet hours
after sunset, when it was often abandoned,
But on this evening, when I entered what was called the Contessa’s Garden,

[...]

Because it is the nature of garden paths
to be circular, each night, after my wanderings,
I would find myself at my front door, staring at it,
barely able to make out, in darkness, the glittering knob.

[...]

No comments:

Post a Comment