Thursday, September 25, 2014

Christopher Kennedy

Americana is on the rise at the moment, and in honor of that, let's take a look at a great poem, "Poem for Shang Qin" by Christopher Kennedy, from Plume issue 1, 2011. Americana encompasses many things, from the Puritans and Nathaniel Hawthorne to Whitman and Lana del Rey. In a way, it's a huge spiral of connections both old and new. This poem has an incredible feel to it, one that resonates in a way with this theme:



I’ve been digging my way toward you since the day I was born. I watch the lamplight outside my window turn to diamonds and think of you. A dog barks in my sleep, and I dream of you eating figs under a banyan tree. In the morning, I look at the hopeful yellow sun. I think, What is the old master doing right now? Cursing the darkness? 




[...]

No comments:

Post a Comment