Saturday, July 12, 2014

Spenser

Spenser [1552-1599] has some great work outside his seminal Faerie Queene. His Amoretti and Epithalamion include beautiful lines. You can read it all here. I especially like one sonnet--read it aloud or in your head and it's easier to pick up and read his style of older English:


SONNET. III.
THE souerayne beauty which I doo admyre,
  witnesse the world how worthy to be prayzed:
  the light wherof hath kindled heauenly fyre,
  in my fraile spirit by her from basenesse raysed.
That being now with her huge brightnesse dazed,
  base thing I can no more endure to view:
  but looking still on her I stand amazed,
  at wondrous sight of so celestiall hew.
So when my toung would speak her praises dew,
  it stopped is with thoughts astonishment:
  and when my pen would write her titles true,
  it rauisht is with fancies wonderment:
Yet in my hart I then both speake and write,
  the wonder that my wit cannot endite.

No comments:

Post a Comment