Saturday, May 3, 2014

David Huerta

Mexican poet's David Huerta's piece "Open and Shut" ["Abres y cierras"] translated by Jamie McKendrick, is incredible, very eerie with a Mads Mikkelsen feel about it--I swear the show runners and designers are using certain poetry to help their vision come to life. The show is just so artistic, I'm always impressed by the level of poetic feeling that the show conveys, a type of poetry of atmosphere.


Here's an excerpt:

You open the blade of a flick knife            Abres un filo de navaja
so it drips transparency.                              para que gotee la transparencia.
You shut the restless cube of night             Cierras el sonámbulo cubo de la noche
and a stream of shadow ramifies.                y un río de sombra se derrama. [...]


And here's an excerpt from his "Nine Years Later - A Poem Dated" ["Nueve años después - UN POEMA FECHADO"], translated by Tom Boll and PoetryTranslation:

[...]

                                                              my hands heavy with
         silence
and my eyes lashed to the dark.
If I spoke, my voice felt dislodged,
my bones were drenched with cold,
my legs, fluent with time, were carrying me out of the
         square
in a direction with no direction: to rebirth
in a hall of mirrors, the maze of streets.
[...]
mis manos estabanfúnebres de silencio    y tenía los ojos atados a una espesa oscuridad.
Si hablaba, mi voz me sonaba como una materia desalojada,
mis huesos estaban empapados de frío,
mis piernas fluían con el tiempo, moviéndose hacia
afuera de la plaza,en una dirección extraña y sin sentido: de renacimiento,
llevándome a los espejos y las calles desordenadas.




No comments:

Post a Comment