Friday, April 3, 2015

H.D.

H.D. [1886-1961], the famous American female Imagist/Modernist poet Hilda Doolittle [usually referred to with her initials], is one that is not often celebrated. Her work is incredible, often about the ancient world of Greece and Rome, and has an intense 'visual' aspect. For more, read here.


ORION DEAD

[Artemis speaks]
The cornel-trees
uplift from the furrows,
the roots at their bases
strike lower through the barley-sprays.

So arise and face me.
I am poisoned with the rage of song.

I once pierced the flesh
of the wild-deer,
now am I afraid to touch
the blue and the gold-veined hyacinths?

I will tear the full flowers
and the little heads
of the grape-hyacinths.
I will strip the life from the bulb
until the ivory layers
lie like narcissus petals
on the black earth.

Arise,
lest I bend an ash-tree
into a taut bow,
and slay—and tear
all the roots from the earth.


The cornel-wood blazes
and strikes through the barley-sprays,
but I have lost heart for this.

I break a staff.
I break the tough branch.
I know no light in the woods.
I have lost pace with the winds.

No comments:

Post a Comment