Friday, August 15, 2014

Richard Siken

We have to focus for a minute on Richard Siken's great modern poem "The Stag and the Quiver" in TheAwl, April 2014. It has the same old Anglo-Saxon or Ivanhoe feeling as some of the more traditional work of E.E. Cummings, but with more of a clear post-modern feel [ie. his famous poem "All in green went my love riding".]  There's a sense of the ancient, of the Anglo, and of the personal, the emotional--a great mix. Very moving.

Here's an excerpt:

1
Once there was a deer called stag. A white breasted, a many 
pointed. He refused to still when he halted, the hooves in 
his mind were always lifted. Everything comes close, the 
branches slide. In a clearing made of cleavings, stag sees 
another stag. They watch each other, they share no story. 
will not cross you and you must move on. There is nothing 
else. It reminds me of some tale, stay with me to remember, 
it reminds me of where I was going without you.
[...]

No comments:

Post a Comment