Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Gilgamesh

While the Epic of Gilgamesh from ancient Mesopotamia, written in Sumerian cuneiform on tablets, is quite difficult to take a stab at, it's also very interesting. Gilgamesh was the fifth king of Uruk [now called Iraq] in the 2500 B.C. time period. You can read it here and Here's a neat little excerpt:
[...]
He wrapped himself in regal garments and fastened the sash.
When Gilgamesh placed his crown on his head,
a princess Ishtar raised her eyes to the beauty of Gilgamesh.
"Come along, Gilgamesh, be you my husband,
to me grant your lusciousness.'
Be you my husband, and I will be your wife.
I will have harnessed for you a chariot of lapis lazuli and gold,
with wheels of gold and 'horns' of copper.
It will he harnessed with great storming mountain mules!
Come into our house, with the fragrance of cedar.
[...]

No comments:

Post a Comment